Explain to me why this isn;t open (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:59 (3465 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 15:04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hwpMMBt2TI

It's modeled. In game. Populated with enemies. Why was this not utilized? Someone from Bungie explain this. Why do we have to pay later for the privilege of accessing what's already in our game data? No really. Explain it. Seriously. Not kidding. Let me hear your side of the story. I'm open to there being some good reason.

I've got a really simple explanation for you: who says that's the end of the area? Just because part of DLC is modeled, doesn't mean all of it connected to that area is modeled.

The other part of this discussion I always disagree with is, who cares if it's done before the game comes out? Who cares if they put it in the game data?

A lot of people. I mean, obviously.

Think about it logically: if the content wasn't in the game data at all, no one would be complaining about it (obviously), and from what most people say on here they agree that the content included in the game is worth $60.

I don't know that I've seen anyone come out say it's not worth the money, but usually no one asks, and tons of people think it's less worthwhile than it should have been. As for not complaining if it wasn't there, what's your point? If problem A didn't exist, complaint A wouldn't exist, that's a given. I will add to that, though, that even if it wasn't accessible, and in fact even if it wasn't on the disk (which I'm not sure this even is), knowing that they finished it before release would have almost exactly the same reaction (not being accessible would make people slightly more forgiving, and not having it on the disk would make them slightly more forgiving than that).

So they come out with the DLC and add in the content later, where it doesn't exist at all right now, yay, we got more gameplay and more content! What is the difference between that and them putting it in the game data already? Not on a reactionary kneejerk reaction way, but in a realistic, logical way.

The difference is in making a conscious decision to cut out the playable content into chunks, sell the bigger chunk at full price, and sell the smaller chunk(s) later at a still fairly high price, when there presumably would've been negligible barriers to providing all of the content at one full game price in the first place.

Does the inclusion of SOME of the data they are going to use in DLC somehow make the game that you admit is worth $60 somehow worth less? Of course not!

It makes it feel like it's worth less. Also, if you can access it without the DLC, it makes the DLC worth less, and it brings up the question of charging extra for it.

In fact it even saves Bungie and us time downloading content for the future content.

Seriously, saving time is your argument for it?

I suspect this is an incomplete version that's undergoing testing and/or was impractical to completely remove, but I would also really like to know why it's there, and if it's tied to any DLC or will be available free (I have no expectations Bungie or anyone else will be that giving, but I have hope).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread