Explain to me why this isn;t open (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:03 (3492 days ago) @ Avateur

If this is on-disc content, even if in the process of being updated, I wonder if they're going to try selling me content that I already purchased just by buying the game.

Statements like this make me really angry.

You're not owed access to everything that's on that disc. You bought a copy to run it on your console the way it's meant to run. That was the bargain.

The disc and the case itself is your property, you can do what you like with it: sell it, lend it to a friend, smash it to tiny pieces. But the data on it is not yours. Never was. Never will be.

Games are not other media like books or movies. There are dozens of barriers and walls of all sorts of kinds blocking access to different stuff in the games. You're not owed access to every Exotic weapon, and you're not owed access to every room of geometry.

Sometimes, yes, one of the barriers developers can and do put up is the paywall.

Was this was new and weird and scary early on in the 360/PS3 generation? Absolutely. But it's been years already. But the DLC revolution happened. The Microtransaction happened. The Smart Phone revolution has happened. The AppStore happened. In-app purchases happened. People should have gotten used to it by now. Software is not like other media. Games are not like other media.

It is not down to Bungie to itemise every single asset that ended up on the disc and say how you can access each piece or why it's there; that's not the experience they're selling. Nobody sells that.

Oh no: the evil Bungie Corporation is using foresight and planning to make the expansion content fit seamlessly with the rest of the game and (probably) reduce download sizes later on so paying customers can get to it quicker without impacting the experience they already sold to everyone else.

Extra stuff on the disc does not diminish what they already sold to you. In fact in this case, you can even get in there and play it anyway for no additional cost! BONUS!

If you didn't think you were going to get your money's worth, you shouldn't have bought it. If you don't think you GOT your money's worth, then sell it or don't buy the expansions.

This is NOT going to change by bitching on a forum about it.

TL/DR: It's stand practice. You weren't screwed over. Get used to it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread