Explain to me why this isn't open (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 22:15 (3487 days ago) @ Avateur

If they had masked their WIP content from the release build, rather than just close it off, would that make this okay?

If it's all available on-disc, no. I purchased the game. Expansions expand the game with new content. I'll pay for expansions for new content that I didn't already pay for when I bought the game.

Skip car examples. When you buy new shoes, do you have to pay for the laces and insoles in order to have them included? Nope.

The difference is with software you are buying a license to use said software, you're not actually buying the physical disc, that's just the device they use to get the software to your computer (of any kind). If they said ahead of time "Here are all of the activities and locations that come included with Destiny" and then you found out that some of those activities (which are included on the disc) cost an additional fee, that's dishonest and appalling.

Those assets that people have seen are not what you're buying, you are buying Destiny 1, with 4 explorable regions, story missions, strikes, and Crucible with 10 maps built in. If the content is unlocked later how does that change what you KNEW you were getting? Say three Crucible maps are on the disc right now that we aren't able to play because they come in the next DLC. Bungie didn't advertise 13 maps, they advertised 10. What difference would it make if the maps were already completed and NOT on the disc? None. The disc literally means nothing aside from what you are promised will be there and what is given to you based on those promises.

The problem I always see with this argument is it seems to come down to "Well if they completed it already and can put it on the disc why shouldn't I get it for free?" Because it still cost them additional money to make! If you are unhappy with what you got for the purchase price, then I can understand why you'd be upset paying extra for content that feels like it should have been included, but having assets (to whatever extent) on the disc literally makes no difference in the promises that Bungie made.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread