Explain to me why this isn;t open (Destiny)

by Earendil, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:55 (3491 days ago) @ Cody Miller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hwpMMBt2TI

It's modeled. In game. Populated with enemies. Why was this not utilized?

That is interesting. Of course, there are a few complaints about the quality of Destiny, most of it stemming from how the majority of the game is simply "modeled and populated with enemies", but lacking sophistication, story, triggers, events worth mentioning, dialog, etc etc.

But let me throw out some other reasons:
1. It's not tested.
2. It's buggy (anything from textures to the AI screwing up in that environment)
3. It's unfinished
3a) It's modeled but not fully architected
3b) it's modeled but not fully textured
3c) it's modeled but environment objects are't fully built/placed
3d) it's modeled but it's not actually modeled yet, what's there is a stub so that the testers could test boss AI.

4. Different groups get done at different times, or have spare cycles to create at different times. I don't know how segmented and specialized the teams at Bungie are, I only know something about how software is built, and I know I met two guys the other day that worked on Halo 4 as "Environment Architects". I also know there is a team a Bungie that just does the sky boxes. Because these things are not entirely built by one dude, it could be that one or two teams took a pass at that room, while the other 6 never had the time. It could be that the 3D Architects were done faster than everyone else, and started modeling DLC content in their spare time.

Additionally, what we're seeing is not uncommon in software. A Lots of software is shipped with certain unfinished features "disabled". Last minute bugs or lack of good quality testing means that little switches are flipped and the end user never sees the content. Games are a little different because of the "ways" to bypass lockout from certain areas. If I don't want you to see a new piece of UI I'm working on, I make the only button that opens that window invisible. Done. Nothing you can do. As is seen in the youtube video, you can't really make a single button invisible and make a section of a 3D world inaccessible.

Someone from Bungie explain this. Why do we have to pay later for the privilege of accessing what's already in our game data?

Whoops, I'm not a Bungie employee. So... yeah. Here is your grain of salt :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread