That's different, and you know it (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, October 03, 2014, 16:14 (3491 days ago) @ Earendil

There is a difference between being wrong about what will happen in the future, and what exists right now.

If I tell you "I'm going to the store tomorrow", and don't end up going, that doesn't mean that when I spoke I was lying.
If I tell you "I didn't go to the store yesterday", then I am making a statement that is either true or false AND I know what the answer is AND nothing anyone can do will change that fact.

Also, no where did Bungie promise that on day one all planets ever mentioned would be accessible. What Bungie did say was that they'd be working on and adding to the Destiny universe for 10 years. I really don't understand why people have their panties in a wad over this sort of stuff. It's like not getting to see the Dragon in the first movie for the Hobbit. Just. Hold. On.

That's not why it's different. Saying you'll do something and not doing it for several years is disingenuous. The reasonable assumption is that the stuff they talked about pre-release all related to the first released game, because why would they talk about later stuff when they hadn't even put out the first game yet? I mean broad, long-term plans, maybe, but anything beyond that would be spoilery.
It is different (and Cody even admitted this at one point so I don't know why he's still harping on it) because it sounded like an off-hand comment, it sounded like someone rattling off locations without a ton of concern for accuracy, and Saturn wasn't the driving point of the statement it was in. The fact it was in a video that was presumably checked by multiple people before being released lessens that factor, though, as does Bungie mentioning Saturn and Mercury at other points.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread