Explain to me why this isn;t open (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:14 (3491 days ago) @ Xenos

I think it's worth pointing out, in case anyone's not following, that in all of this you're making an assumption that the DLC is not actually done yet. You may be right, or you may not.

I will say this: I also think it's worth pointing out that you don't know that the DLC is not finished any more than Cody knows that it is. There are plenty of previous examples of games where some later-released DLC was in fact present in the initial release, and all the DLC download did was unlock it. It's become very common practice and I'd be surprised if you hadn't heard of it already. We don't know yet whether that's what's happening with Destiny, but it's not unheard of.

Now, it is of course up to the developer and/or publisher to decide how much of their work to sell for the base price, and how much of their work is worth a separate charge (in their eyes, anyway). It's just that from the consumer's perspective, being charged more for something and told that it's "new," when we can plainly see that it isn't new... stinks a bit. The internet will always find something to complain about, but I wonder if those scenarios would go over better if they were up front about it, and instead of pretending it's new content (only in cases where it isn't, of course - plenty of DLCs are genuinely done after the initial release), just give consumers the for-adults version and explain that they feel it's an additional body of work regardless of when it was completed. Gamers aren't all children anymore, and sometimes we just want the facts up front without all the PR crap.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread