BMA / Destiny interactions

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, March 08, 2013, 10:50 (4038 days ago)

I'm looking forward to seeing how Bungie makes the Bungie Mobile App a part of the Destiny experience. Granted, as is the case for many others, my wish list for such an experience is sure to exceed the reality. What little chatter I've seen about it tends to all lean in the same direction: People want to have an actual impact to gameplay. Notifications about new content are nice, and messaging between players to organize raids is helpful, but opening up new areas or triggering ingame events through BMA participation are the kinds of things I'm hoping for, and would keep me invested in the world over the long term.

In games like Chromehounds (there are others but none come to mind), there were conquest modes that would affect what weapons and parts were available for purchase depending on what territories were held by the player's faction. Similar dynamics could easily be put in play by leveraging the mobile app. Make weapon/item caches appear based on community performance in the mobile space. If loot drops as we currently know them are part of the deal, make harder/rarer enemies appear. It would have to be something all players benefit from, but aren't hurt by if they don't participate in.

There could be special areas that only allow a certain number of party members, but the number could change if mobile users fulfilled some task. Enemy force composition could change dramatically, much like was done in Mass Effect 3 MP, when weekly challenges started incorporating the worst baddies from different factions and throwing them at players. Say mobile users meet some goal and suddenly that super hard area where your raids have been failing over the last few nights is suddenly a lot easier; the baddies essentially have the Famine Skull active because (canonically) their supply lines were cut. It would go a long way towards establishing the feeling of a living world.

Thoughts?

~M

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread