Wow.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 21:44 (4057 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So I'm looking at this thread, and I'm comparing the responses in it to the responses to similar threads in the early days of Halo's development. (By 'similar', I mean in style - threads that are "what if...?" in nature.)

And I'm amazed by the differences I see.

The starting posts are similar, in style; they're extrapolations, based on some tiny observed fact in the meager released content.

It's the responses that are different.

In the early days of Halo, if you read one of these, and it excited you, you jumped in with your own expansions on the original speculation - some of the ideas got pretty wild (and definitely out of the realm of 'feasible'). If it DIDN'T excite you... you passed by the thread.

I actually was just skimming the thread and I was going to go back to the index, but I saw "Sounds awful." and I read a little and I thought and I realized it could in fact be awful, so I started reading the whole thread.

Here, though... here, it seems like the first thing people do is try to find the negative implications in any speculation. And then talk about how the game is going to suck because this speculation can't possibly be done in any reasonable fashion.

I didn't see anyone in this thread saying the game was going to suck, or even saying it would probably suck. I haven't even seen that in the vast majority of threads on here, and I've read all of them up to this one. I've seen it in maybe 8-10 threads, in 10-12 posts by 5 or 6 or 7 people.

I wish people would remember that none of these ideas are actually coming from Bungie - they're coming from the fanbase. It's speculation. If you read something someone suggests, and it doesn't do it for you... feel free to say so, if you have to, but then move on. Condemning the GAME because some random speculation by some fan doesn't do it for you does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING USEFUL for the community as a whole.

I don't remember seeing anyone on here taking a fan idea as an official feature/plot point/whatever.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread