Sounds awful.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, March 08, 2013, 13:52 (4067 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Let's say I make a flight or space sim, and the game is obviously better with a joystick. Folks can play it with a mouse, but really they have the best experience and are encouraged to play with a joystick. Same thing with fighters and arcade like controllers. Sometimes you just need certain hardware to have the most fun.

So having a smartphone be such a piece of hardware? I guess based on principles there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't seem like something that directly affect the ability to play the game, and goes to being merely a cool additional thing. Like stats on bungie.net. Cool, but not necessary.

Yep. It seems like it should be possible to get a benefit out of a second screen without requiring it.

And now is definitely the time to start trying the concept out and honing it. Someday a point will come where everyone* will have a smartphone - we're not there yet, but we ARE at a point where market penetration is large enough to test these concepts at scale.

* Maybe not literally everyone, but everyone in a developed enough part of the world - and we're talking about current/next-generation console games here after all. I think it's fair to assume that most people playing Destiny online are also people who have access to cellular phone technology.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread