Sounds awful.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 08, 2013, 11:54 (4066 days ago) @ Malagate

You could certainly choose to look at it that way. Or you could look at it as a method for a true cross-platform experience without actually having a live cross-platform gameplay session. Again, the idea is to enhance the game, not restrict functionality to a totally separate venue. Just imagine if all Destiny players, regardless of platform, experienced events in the game world together, truly impacting their own story in a joint effort. The same world is accessible to anyone, it would just be the BMA users that have an additional layer of agency that benefits everyone. It's an accessory, not a requirement. And the app is free. Are you suggesting Bingle shouldn't even try such a thing because some players feel it would be some kind of injustice?

~M

I'm not against this on principle.

Let's say I make a flight or space sim, and the game is obviously better with a joystick. Folks can play it with a mouse, but really they have the best experience and are encouraged to play with a joystick. Same thing with fighters and arcade like controllers. Sometimes you just need certain hardware to have the most fun.

So having a smartphone be such a piece of hardware? I guess based on principles there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't seem like something that directly affect the ability to play the game, and goes to being merely a cool additional thing. Like stats on bungie.net. Cool, but not necessary.

I, like you, wouldn't get all up in arms because the addition to the experience is going to be relatively minor, because if it was major any developer worth their salt would either incorporate the functionality directly in game, or they would flat out require it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread