Wow.

by nico, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 10:06 (4064 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well I think you're both right. The sense of entitlement and "armchair video game developer" has grown like a cancer amongst video game culture, and results in people feeling like they can just say whatever briefly passes through their pretty little heads (or butts) as a theory based in fact.

And right, Claude, the result is Bungie getting blamed for stuff that's probably not even on the drawing table yet, because some idiot's theory snowballs into "fact," when it's probably not even on the drawing board yet.

What results is comments like "wtf I read somewhere that Destiny haz rocket launchers, rocket launchers suck lol I hate the RL in Medal of Special Black OPS IV wtf Destiny is gonna suck."

Go take a look at the archives of the Marathon Story Page, check the level and quality of discourse going on there. Sure, a lot of us were bookworms, but the reason the discourse there was at such a high level was because Hamish specifically set out the rules for posting a theory: you _had_ to present supporting evidence for your theory, otherwise, you may as well been farting in the wind, and telling people you smelled Channel No.5.

The result was that that level of discourse became expected, and in part enforced, by us, the community. Not by an admin deleting unacceptable posts, but by the community either responding to, or ignoring "farting in the wind" comments.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread