Microtransactions (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 01:00 (2861 days ago)

I played some Overwatch today at a friend's house. It's a really, really fun game. I don't think it's something I would play long-term, just because I'm not much in for competitive multiplayer stuff much anymore. But it was fun for the few hours I spent with it.

It made me realize something about microtransactions that I've been struggling with, though. Obviously it's been an issue here, in regards to how it's implemented in Destiny, and Overwatch made me realize why I hate them, even though that should have been obvious all along.

To begin with, I don't necessarily have a problem with any and all microtransactions. My issue comes from two factors.

1. RNG. In Overwatch you can buy loot crates that are normally obtained when you level up. They contain cosmetic only items like skins and poses. Of course, what you get is random. It's gambling, pure and simple, and it's a shitty, exploitative thing to have in a game. If I want a particular skin or pose, I should be able to buy exactly what I want. Destiny does basically the same thing, offering things you can buy that can turn into a random sparrow or horn during SRL, or a new piece of armor in the last update. You can't get exactly what you want without gambling.

2. New content. I have a problem with Overwatch's microtransactions in that they are selling content that is already included in a game that I would have to pay $60 for. It could be argued that you are not forced to pay for the loot boxes, and, while that is correct, Polygon did the math--it would take approximately 1,000 hours of play time to unlock everything. That's ridiculous, and obviously rigged to make people want to spend money. Destiny, at least, has offered up new content in it's microtransactions. New Sparrows, Sparrow Horns, new armor--all stuff that wasn't previously available.

I shouldn't have to pay to get a chance at a random item that was included in the game I already bought, and that's why Overwatch's microtransactions are shit.

I don't think they have to be bad. If Destiny rolled out new items like they have been only on a more regular basis (and with shaders!) I might actually spend small amounts of money on said items. Instead, developers expect folks to spend $20 (or more) on slot machines for the chance to get the one item they actually want. The sad thing is that it's working. I was a supporter of microtransactions when they first came to Destiny, but have come to see how wrong I was about that. #codywasright

Anyway, that's my rant for the day, and honestly was just a chance to work out my feelings about microtransactions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread