Devil's advocate (Gaming)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:16 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Compare it to the way computer software works where you do pay for the data. I lost my Avid installer. I had the choice of getting another DVD sent to me, or to download the installer from them. See the difference? They make the data available to me at all times. Because I paid for the data, I get the data. This is not so with physical games. If you break the disc and no longer have access to the data, you are out of luck. Same with records, CDs, DVDs, Blurays, etc.

I completely understand what you're saying and you're making a completely different argument than what we're talking about. But compare it to a car. Wear and tear matters beyond how your car runs. The seat is ripped up? The value is lowered. The stereo doesn't work? The value is lowered. With a disc for a video game no matter how messed up the disc is, if it plays the game (aka you can access the data) technically all the features of the product (the game) are functioning as if the game was new. On day one I could rip the label off of a blu-ray, and even scratch the disc to hell, but if it plays my game, the product itself is not diminished.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread