Devil's advocate (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 19:09 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is no logic there. I do not recall ever hearing the music or film industry decry used sales, even though nowadays you are still buying a digital product on an optical disc, same as a video game.

Oh come now, Cody (words I'm sure I've never had to say to you before...)

The very first thing that came to my mind was the film industry vs Redbox. Here's a great New York Times piece about the issue. Some choice quotes:

These machines are to the movie industry what the Internet was to the music business -- disaster.

Analysts also see a threat to studios in Redbox’s practice of selling about half of its DVDs into the used market (after renting them about 15 times at an average of $2 a transaction). By signing deals with Redbox, Paramount and Sony got the kiosk operator to agree to destroy their discs rather than resell them.

Beyond that, the movie and music industries are the ones who have fought consumer interests every single step of the way from the invention of the VCR to their febile and pathetic attempts to set up digital storefronts to the highly questionable John Doe lawsuits against their own customers over copyright violations!

To think that these groups weren't also against rentals is beyond naive. To say that you can't recall them ever complaining about rentals... It's you being intentionally and dilberately obtuse and frustrating and revisionist.

Basically, it's classic Cody Miller.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread