Devil's advocate (Gaming)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 13:24 (2891 days ago) @ cheapLEY

. . . and the idea that used games are unethical is gaining following at an alarming rate.

I still don't get this at all. That's literally not the case with any other thing I buy. Used car? Fine, there's a huge economy built around used cars. Used books? Cool! Used albums? Awesome! Hell, used shoes? There's a market!

Why should video games be any different?

Well, I do get it to a small degree. It really wasn't a huge concern for companies until the digital age. Take cars for example, you're buying a product that has gone down in quality since it was first sold, and that was the case with MOST used items. It was a known matter that had to be weighed, do I want a new, perfect version of something, or a used I-get-what-I-pay-for version. After the digital age a lot of that pretty much went away. Now you're buying a version that is 99% of the time just as good as the version that I bought on day one, so there's a certain amount of horror over the idea of why would the customer buy it at full price when they can buy it for less? The unethical part is just a tool to try and get people to feel bad about buying used.

Heck I even wouldn't buy a used copy of an indie title because i want to support indie devs, but luckily most indie devs only have digital releases anyway so it's not a concern. (And I still wouldn't call it unethical)

That's not to say they are going about trying to resolve the issue in the right way, but there is absolutely some logic behind their fears.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread