Yep. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 17:09 (2694 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

That's odd, I never got a negative reaction to FotL. But I also didn't really play it very seriously. I finished the PvE missions, but never touched the PvP missions. I didn't care if I got all the masks, or really any of the masks. My guess is that people thought it was a money hole because they were expected to get all the masks by the end of it. I don't know what the reason is, but I hope they never get rid of these little mini events. Why? Because I love the atmosphere of them! They are awesome. It's a time to not give a shit about the game and go on random excursions. It was fun in my book. But I feel like most people were treating FotL as another Destiny expansions, which means, must get all the things.

But as you have said, Destiny is what people make it. So it might rub some people the wrong way. For me, I enjoy this stuff and don't take it that seriously. (at least that is how I see it)

I think there probably are some people who approached it the way you described (needing to get everything), which is always a dangerous way to approach Destiny ;p

But a very common (and more reasonable, IMHO) complaint that I heard was that there was very little you could actually earn without spending money. Doing the quests would get you a couple items, and that's it.

For me, it's a bit of a different issue (some of which could possibly come down to a communication failure/unrealistic expectations/a combination of both). Since the unveiling of the Live team, my understanding was that the game would include microtransactions, and the revenue from those microtransactions would go towards creating new playable content. Based on the past year, we know the Live team has limited capabilities, and can only handle a small event every 2-4 months on average. Cool. So when one of those few events rolls around, and all it really contains is a bunch of stuff to buy (the art assets were already done; completely reused from 2015's FotL, unless I'm mistaken)... that's where I get a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth. It's one thing if microtransactions are funding the release of new playable content. But if microtransactions are predominantly funding the creation of more microtransactions... see where I'm going with this? Again, I'm sure this is all totally fine for some people. If you're already enjoying everything Destiny has to offer, this is just a little extra flavor on the side. But for those like me who's relationship with Destiny was already rocky, stuff like this only serves to push us further away.

Meanwhile, the first Titanfall update just dropped. It includes microtransactions. Players can buy new paint jobs for their guns and Titans, unique assassinations, and a few other purely cosmetic items. At the same time, we're getting a new multiplayer map for free. THAT seems like a nice, player-friendly way to handle microtransactions :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread