I'll explain. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 18:00 (2700 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 18:03

I went into FotL excited. Bungie released that fun trailer for it showing off cool masks and animations and spawn-in effects, and that awesome ghost Ghost. The actual quests and missions weren't too much different than last year but there was a bit of extra silliness like dressing up and killing things as Lord Saladin and the Broom Sparrow.

So, so far so good. A few funny missions and mini-quests, a fun limited holiday Sparrow, and tons of amusing and unique items like masks and holiday themed Ghosts I could get by completing quests and having fun. by paying money to Microsoft to pay Silver to Bungie to have a random chance to get the specific items I wanted.

I enjoy developer creativity and I don't really mind tossing a few dollars a developer's way for in game stuff, so I did that. Gave them $10 and got a handful of spawn-in potions, around 5 or 6 masks, and a shader or two... But I wanted the ghost Ghost... So I sat their slowly fuming towards a boil.

How much money would I have to pay to get a ghost Ghost? $10 was already close to the price for the entirety of The Dark Below or House of Wolves. What if I spent another $10? What if RNG still didn't pay nice? I'd happily pay a good $5 or so for a ghost Ghost so why won't they let me?!

To me, Festival of the Lost changed from a fun holiday event to what felt like a RNG tainted cash grab. I like playing Destiny. I would have played more Destiny for more chances at my ghost Ghost. But playing Destiny to get a ghost Ghost wasn't an option, or at least not a good one. (I think I could have swapped characters for two more chances.)

So, I quit playing Destiny about half way through FotL and bought Skyrim SE and the The Witcher 3.

TL;DR: The way Bungie apparently locked fun holiday drops behind pay-2-RNG made me angry. And I'm still a bit angry.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread