Some Criticism (2) (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 20:10 (2348 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Matchmaking, teams, and modes

[2.1a] Matchmaking is a separate beast when it comes to killing fun. The combination of matching parties against individuals and randomized playlists is probably the biggest offender here. In past games, D1 included, I used to be able to solo queue and have a good time. I have not had the experience on either XBO or PC for D2. Sometimes Join-in-Progress feels broken, getting thrown into losing matches with insufficient time to turn them around (and no super energy so that's fun) or never even topping off a match when someone leaves within the first 30 seconds. Anecdotally I played a game where my team of 3 loaded in with a single and a pair. It put the single on our team, and never loaded in new players for the enemy team. I felt bad.

[2.1b] With all games being the "more competitive" 4v4, one player is not as much of a drag as it is with 3v3, but it is noticeably more than it was in a 6v6. I already have issues with the push to make all PvP "more competitive" instead of "more enjoyable" because I'm getting older and less sweaty as time goes on. But that doesn't mean I can't get into a competitive game. Titanfall 2 and Lawbreakers can attest to that. However, the fact that it is the only way to play means that I am not necessarily super happy to play an inherently more competive style of play. This lends itself to pretty substantial matchmaking changes.

[2.2a] So how would I change this up? In 3 ways, specifically. First, move from the 2 playlist structure to a 4 playlist structure. Two "chill" and two "sweaty" modes per week, not counting Trials or IB events. Second, Include FFA, 3v3, 4v4, and 6v6 playlist options. 6v6 would only be on the chill side, 3v3 would only be on the sweaty side. Third, shift the baseline experience to either Mayhem, Core, or Trickle. With the prior suggested ability changes (specifically cooldown) that would be Core. Trickle would better resemble our current ability charge rates and would be tweaked to better suit more competitive, team oriented play for all the folks who enjoy MIDA team shooting (I joke) as the height of fun. Mayhem would be Mayhem. Lists can be mix bags of modes or dedicated modes as desired. This would keep it from becoming a dozen playlists, but allow for rotating playlists, hopefully always having something that will scratch an appropriate itch.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread