+1 (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 16:56 (2347 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I can definitely see that the overall feeling for a lot of folks who perform well solo not liking D2 PvP as much. But part of it is how it forces teamwork instead of encouraging it theough mechanics. Search and Des-countdown and survival both encourage team work theough mechanics, for example. And I like that. But Clash or Control aren’t focused enough for the gametype to encourage it, instead the limited options lead to team shooting.

I would make a distinction here in what I am talking about, though. Because flanking is team play. And in many cases is the only way to break up the plinking down hallways that is a common strategy due to the prevalence of MIDA and other Scouts effectiveness in coordinated fire. In D1, however, in part because of 6v6, I could break off, and having grenades readily available, actually manage engagements on my own. There are a lot of factors. But yeah. The change is definitely harder on folks who like solo play.

They did change a lot of things that make it hard to go solo. I never thought about the grenades and abilities thing though. I think the big difference when it comes to abilities is that we are usually able to take on 1v2 or 1v3 if we have all of our abilities at our disposal, but when you might only have the gun in your hands, it is MUCH hard to do a 1v2, especially if either of them have their abilities. I think this takes more skill because you can't just willy nilly throw grenades every time you revive.

In D1, if you caught a team with their pants down you could drop 1 of them before they knew what was happening, and maybe get 2 or 3 if you were lucky. I had some great chaperone plays where I solo'd against a bunch of guys who weren't expecting my positioning or movement and were thus caught looking where they expected me to be instead of where I actually was. In D2 you just can't do that. It takes so long to kill someone that even when you catch them with their back to you, there's enough time for them to finish what they were doing, write a book, proofread it, tell their friends about it, and then turn and shoot you, and if they have a teammate nearby, they will still win. I don't like a pvp game where a solo player who out maneuvers a pair of two has their best tactical option limited to "run away." And this is far worse when you have only your guns and no grenades to throw or super to pop.

I also like that the defensive class abilities are able to be used often, because if you are being double teamed you might have a chance to get out easier. It allows for a more tactical team oriented game other than lone ranger. That is more appealing to me than the insta-killing roaming Gods that some D1 players were.

On my hunter, the dodge is next to useless as an actual dodge, so I use it primarily to reload quickly. Which is dumb. Utility yes, defensive utility not really. On my warlock I'm an OP god of death with a skill tree designed to rain unholy pain upon my enemies, and every time I pop my circle of awesome I feel like I'm using a little bonus super.

My point is that things are grossly imbalanced. Maybe I should just play warlock. They do have blink.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread