+1 (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 15:16 (2347 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Well put and well articulated. The PvP is the major drag of D2, just as it was the major draw keeping me playing D1. The absence of advanced player control in particular is damning (titan skating, blink for hunters, warlock skating).

Wait, what? The lack of some broken shit is detrimental to the experience? That's almost like calling the super bounce from Halo 2 an advanced movement option. I kept wondering what you were talking about when you said that, but now that you've explained I'm honestly flabbergasted.

What you're calling broken shit was actually key to top-tier gameplay and added a tremendous amount of depth to the pvp game. Knowing how to move in order to safely and quickly traverse sightlines was key in that game. Using this advanced movement to trick enemies via the radar, keep your head out of doorways, and surprise your enemies with unexpected speed and direction was really really fun. And since these things were HARD TO DO, they meant that top tier players had to practice and develop a level of skill that was really really fun to watch.

Did you hold it against Halo 3 when they didn't put BXR back in the game?

I don't know what BXR is, I'm sorry.

That's a legitimate question--some people absolutely did hold it against Halo 3 for not having BXR. I just don't think it's reasonable to expect Bungie to put obviously unintended, broken mechanics back into Destiny 2. I'll listen to the argument that it was beneficial to the game due to it's required skill to consistently execute or any such similar things, but I still think it's naive to expect them to leave it in and then complain about it when it's not there.

I think you're saying it's reasonable to say it was beneficial to the game but not reasonable to complain that they took it out, which seems contradictory to me. The movement of D1 was fluid, quick, and required both skill and planning, whereas the movement of D2 is slow, methodical, and requires only that you do it alongside another teammate, rather than in a closely coordinated maneuver.

Put another way: D1 rewarded aggression and tactics, while D2 rewards preparation and numbers. Both have their merits, but the game modes in D2 are the same as D1, and those are, universally, game modes which emphasize aggressive play. It means you're always moving at odds with ideal gameplay, and that's not fun.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread