LOL

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 16:43 (4076 days ago) @ Cody Miller

First of all, the money has to come from somewhere, so what you're advocating is essentially the hardcore players spending more than $60 to subsidize the casuals playing for free or cheap, and that's really really stupid. This is a leisure, luxury activity so we don't need to be spreading the wealth around so the casuals can play for free at (literally) our expense, thank you very much.

Not sure why that actually matters. I mean, these aren't taxes, no one is required to pay them. Like you say, this is a luxury, not a flat tax morality play.

Second of all, how would you keep players playing? Certainly not by making a good game off the bat, since then people would just be playing your game and have reason to buy more shit. So, you either put in bullshit player investment systems, which I've already explained elsewhere why they always make a game worse, or you do what LoL does and keep releasing new heros and rebalancing shit so that you have to keep buying stuff to compete. Why bother learning the game deeply when Riot issues major balance patches what seems like every day?

Free to Play and Micro Transactions ruin games. Period.

Not sure why you'd need to start with a bad game and move it into being a good one. You need to hook players at the start, and bad games don't exactly do that. Furthermore, people will pay for advancement, even if they are enjoying what they are doing.

You bring up LOL, well, people might pay to unlock that cool hero they want to try, and they will proceed to keep playing the game another 20 hours, doing the exact same thing they would have been doing had they not paid.

And as for re balancing stuff, obviously, that's really terrible! Riot produces tons of content for players and continuously improves their game. In return, players are giving them money. That sounds horrible and broken, I can see why LoL hasn't become popular at all.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread