Online means temporary. (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, September 09, 2015, 18:43 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So it's finally happening. Remember years ago when I said that having a game be always online, with mandatory patches by the developers was troubling because we may lose our ability to enjoy old content?

No, sorry, I don't remember every dire prediction you make Mr. Rasputin. :) But I thought this as well (well, without the 'troubling') part. I mean, I was under the impression things would change, from the nature of previous online games and what Bungie was saying, since... a year or more before I bought the game?

I realized what I was getting into. Just like how Halo 2's XBox Live multiplayer went away, I know one day Destiny will be unplayable, at least in its current form. It is a temporary, limited experience. (I mean everything in life could be described that way, but especially this.)

Do I want every game to be so dynamic and time-relevant or require internet? Heck no! But I am willing to try Destiny's different (at least for me) approach to a growing game. I think it's fun, especially in between other games.

I mean, am I losing a few things? Yes! But am I also gaining new dialogue, all the pre-TTK DLC maps, new missions and bounties? Yes! Are the older DLC losing value? Yes! In a similar way, is this gift card to Blockbuster not going to work anymore? Yes! But did I have fun renting terrible movies from there when it did work? Yes! Am I sad they couldn't get Peter Dinklage for more Ghosting? Yes! Am I happy the Ghost isn't going to remain silent forevermore because of that? Yes! Am I happy I won't randomly be being hearing Dinklage then North and back again? Yes! Am I running out of things to ask myself that result in 'yes' answers with exclamations marks? ...Yes!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread