Wiping away the past (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 17:26 (3158 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 17:41

And as others have said, it makes sense lore-wise for them to be gone, and it's neat to see different events like that come and go.

They shouldn't have made it lore-dependent though, other patrol activities aren't. (That is, unless they always planned on removing them and wanted an out.) If it's a memory issue or something, I'd understand, but they haven't said anything like that.

Not making it lore-dependent would have defeated the purpose of it. The world changes based on what's happening in the universe, that is interesting and makes it feel like things are progressing.

I should have gone with my original phrasing: they shouldn't have made it dependent on something we defeat. Tying it into the lore and changes in it is great. Removing the reason for it to exist and then removing the thing itself is very much not great.
They could have also made these things independent of the DLC story points and given them their own lore elements that are permanent or ongoing.

They are adding public events and new patrol activities in TTK to make patrol feel more varied, but not everything in the game world should stick around forever.

I disagree, I want everything added to be around forever. Is that practical? Maybe not, but Bungie has not once cited practicality that I'm aware of, so at the very least they should tell us that if it's an issue.

I defeated Skolas (twice), why would the Wolves still be around?

That's what I'm saying, they shouldn't make stuff dependent on that so they don't have a reason to remove it. It didn't make sense anyway because they were still around after you personally defeated him. Not only that but most Wolf groups had a named enemy that was killed many thousands of times and kept showing up. It's already stretching believability, having it continue to be around would be a drop in the bucket.

And with the argument of having them space it out instead, that limits the amount of space they can use for future events, such as the Taken showing up in patrols.

I meant space it out time-wise. For example you could have Blades every 30 minutes, Wolves every 30 minutes, Taken every 30 minutes, staggered 10 minutes apart from each other.

If you want to argue that a couple of wolves or blades stay, that makes sense to me for a gameplay standpoint, but expecting all of them to stick around just doesn't make sense from a lore standpoint or a gameplay standpoint.

It doesn't have to not make sense though.
Do you get what I'm saying?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread