Wiping away the past (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, September 11, 2015, 16:34 (3156 days ago) @ Leviathan

I would also love to see great things preserved as they were, but I don't think that ideal should ever become a restriction to the artist.

I didn't say it should.
Do you really think it's a matter of their vision, though? Do you really think their goal is that lofty?
I think it's practicality, and possibly a lack of forethought, and, maybe, an incentive to play on a regular basis so you don't miss things-- admittedly even if it is that's not messing with people's minds on the level of gambling for legendaries, but it's not what I'd call an artistic vision.

I think yes, it is a matter of the vision of Destiny. Overcoming practical challenges, like a voice actor you couldn't get back or limited space/memory for Blades and Wolves, is how that vision remains reality.

So which is it, you said it's the vision then you said it's practicality.
Anyway, surely the vision should trump practicality as much as possible, and if they wanted a world that feels alive and active they should find ways to have more going on.

If I ever want to make some art or do something I would enjoy, and someone told me I shouldn't do that because it cant be preserved for the future, I would not listen to them. I think if I worry too much about making things last I will miss the present. :)

No one's saying they shouldn't have done it, they're saying they should have done it differently. It's not like the choice was Destiny the way it is or nothing at all.
(Also I realize all this talking about it after the fact doesn't affect what's been made and decided on but I can hope maybe it'll affect the next update, the next game, or the next universe if we can actually get people to do more than begrudgingly support these ideas.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread