Wiping away the past (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, September 11, 2015, 17:40 (3156 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I think yes, it is a matter of the vision of Destiny. Overcoming practical challenges, like a voice actor you couldn't get back or limited space/memory for Blades and Wolves, is how that vision remains reality.

So which is it, you said it's the vision then you said it's practicality.
Anyway, surely the vision should trump practicality as much as possible, and if they wanted a world that feels alive and active they should find ways to have more going on.

If you look at how I worded my comment, I was trying to say practical decisions are how a vision comes to be. They are intertwined. A vision is the dream; the practical efforts are the dream-become-reality.

Bungie decided to create an always-online game that allowed for the type of interconnected gameplay we have now experienced. In making that vision a reality, they came across challenges - and have continued to do so, and will always continue to do so, as any creator does.

This is where decisions have to be made. Examples we've mentioned already are decisions regarding having a unified Ghost going forward or how they want to handle temporary public area 'invasions'. To me, these are the 'practical' steps in making Destiny continue to exist.

Obviously people won't like every change they make and I'm not saying you or anyone else shouldn't criticize those decisions. And I, too, hope the world continues to feel even more alive.

But a lot of what I've been trying to say here is that, to me, a number of comments in this thread, mostly by Cody, goes beyond critiquing those decisions in an effort to improve it, and more about disliking the foundation - that base vision - of Destiny.

And if you dislike what Destiny wants to be, that's fine too. But a year in (or even a year out), it's not going to switch mediums or become a different thing entirely.

To me, continuing this direction of negative deconstruction is, to continue the metaphor, like going up to a director of a play and telling them they should have made a movie. That person is welcome to have and say their opinion, but it doesn't help the director or anyone else trying to make or enjoy the play better.

I'll always remember Cody telling me I should get out of comics because he thought the medium was bad. But when I sit down to make a comic, that kind of comment doesn't help me or the potential reader of the comic. It's just Cody's opinion, which is fine for him to have. But if he keeps telling me that every issue I release or something, I'm going to say in a Dude voice, "Hey man, this is just a negative vibe at this point, man. Tell me how to make what I'm making better, not what I should be making. Man." :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread