Wiping away the past (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 16:32 (3157 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My point is that art should be able to be preserved.

There is some art that is meant to be temporary - like performance pieces and installations, earthworks/land art, and more. There are some printmaking techniques that 'use up' the original plates to the point where they can never be used to create the image again.

The only way to preserve those kinds of art is to document them - like you did with Dinklage's voice.

It's interesting you say that, because I know that is a large part of the artist's intent in those pieces - for them to be temporary. I personally think that is misguided, because everyone's individual experience with art already is temporary. How many times are you going to go see David? Probably not often enough for it to cease being special, even though he's a hunk or marble that will stand for centuries later.

Oh yes, most of them are definitely intended to be that way, and by doing so, they've purposefully added another element to their art. By telling your audience it's not going to last, as opposed to say, suggesting the 'security' of a long-lasting David, you're making a statement, whether or not the audience experiences that actual temporary quality. You may not be interested in that statement, but hey, everything's on the table in art.

Some arts are temporary by their very nature such as theatre or live music. You were either there when Prince got booed off the stage opening for the Stones at Madison square garden, or you weren't. But video games are decidedly not temporary, or at least don't have to be.

Right, but Destiny has chosen to be temporary. They've been pretty much declaring that since the beginning. It may not be what you want it to be, but that's what Destiny is. It's going to continue to be that way.

In other, stranger, more metaphorical words, I can certainly understand criticizing and improving upon a recliner - looking around for the mechanism and finding ways for it to be more comfortable, etc. But I don't understand criticizing a recliner for not being a bed, heh. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread