Not quite (Gaming)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 11, 2016, 07:05 (2976 days ago) @ Funkmon

I was on the fence about whether or not to get the game.

I chose one of the LPers I regularly watch who was doing a series on it to check it out and see if I wanted to get it.

I got so completely sucked into what was going on in the game that I couldn't bring myself to stop watching before it ended.

I realized that because of the way the game is designed, there's very little reason or justification for repeat play. (I tend to have problems in RPGs because while a repeat play is a chance to do things differently I often end up feeling the same way about certain choices and so end up doing the same things over again.)

So in lieu of doing that, I watched some other LPers.

I so enjoyed them that I've watched about four of them, and now I feel bad because I enjoyed all of those, and yet I hadn't paid for the game. I enjoyed all the content the devs made, but I didn't pay anyone for it.

Blackstar hasn't seen the game yet, so we're going to do our own LP-- he plays and I comment, but without spoiling anything. I do think that some people are affected by the story at a certain point in a way that the authors intended, but to a great degree than the authors intended, and I want to see if I can mitigate this effect without spoiling things.

If Blackstar ends up being satisfied with the game, then I'll chalk that up as one referral sale and I'll feel like I've absolved myself. If not, then I'll trade him something for his steam code, and I'll have paid for my experience directly, even if I never actually play it myself (which, to be honest, I probably will at some point anyway).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread