Exactly, IMHO. (Gaming)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 11, 2016, 23:30 (2975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Game X is not a good game" has the appearance of an assertion of fact,

In what universe? The idiocy is really getting to me. Imagine you are talking about food. You tell someone "This is a good pie". That's OBVIOUSLY an opinion. So why when I say that something is a bad game is that also taken as an opinion? Everything anybody ever says is their opinion, unless it's factual in some way or a quotation. Good and Bad are subjective words, so in no possible way can they be used any way except as subjective.

This is getting really annoying. That is why I wrote the last sentence in caps sarcastically, because it shouldn't even need to be said that it's all my opinion. If Firewatch were somehow objectively a bad game, then nobody on the planet would have enjoyed it. Some people did, therefore it's not objectively bad. Use common sense and we save a lot of hostility.

Right on schedule! You're so reliable.

Adding "in my opinion" is doublespeak designed to circumvent criticism from those who challenge the statement of fact, quickly diverting the discussion into endless recursive cycles of "I'm entitled to my opinion, and you're just oversensitive" rather than evaluating the initial statement.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread