This, for instance, is not (Gaming)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, March 15, 2016, 01:13 (2972 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So yes I guess there are things I could have gotten out of it-- boredom and frustration, which an LPer can cut out. So I'll admit that my experience was probably better than those who played it,

So when a video game, which is about interactivity, turns out to be worse to actually play than it is to simply watch, you can actually defend that?

I can defend it as a creative work without feeling the need to pigeonhole it by saying that it is called a "video game" and therefore must behave like other video games. I didn't expect the navigation to be rewarding, so it wasn't that bad when it was basically just environmental filler-- some nice views, some side content.

I think your experience was probably typical, though-- I know it bugged Funkmon when it turned out the map wasn't a real topographical map, and that he couldn't navigate by the stars, either, but that's the problem of managing expectations. Having already watched someone play the game, I knew it wasn't about those things, not remotely, so even when I play the game now I don't expect anything from those segments.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread