Wat, a sensible and informative GeeVee post? What a week... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 00:40 (2388 days ago) @ slycrel

Good stuff above.

So, I'm a little confused. I knew the internet has revisionisht history, but it's a little disturbing to see my WoW remembrances nearly wiped off the internet. I can't find a good example image of a birthday kek.

Check out this birthday card someone's mom made. (Please ignore the cuteness, and read the typed content. heh)

I've been seeing "kek" double for 'lol" in the world of warcraft community since... well, since the players figured out that "lol" when spoken by the horde showed up for the alliance as "kek". I think this was an inside joke from blizzard, because of "kekeke" in starcraft chat.

Apparently some sites attribute kek to 4chan, and dismiss rumors of what I'm talking about as hearsay... which is too bad.

I am saddened to hear that this has been somehow politicized and taken over as an offensive symbol. Because, in my old-school context, kekistan is actually pretty funny...! But apparently not anymore. :/

I never played WoW, but "kek" and "Top kek" have been around in harmless use for well over a decade (topkek often used to describe something as being really funny). It might have started with WoW, or any of the handful of super-popular MMOs of that era, but it was always pretty harmless. Heck, I just barely found out that (like all things that 4chan has harmlessly embraced over years) it's been turned into a negative symbol.

I dunno. It won't stop me from using it on occasion, and I don't think that the "old-school context" should die for you, so if it was funny to you then, there's nothing wrong with that. The concept of kekistan was definitely born of humor-based roots, of that I have no doubt...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread