'Waypoint' Claims Racist Logo in Destiny 2 (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 11:53 (2388 days ago) @ Talli

I read through this whole thread and... yikes. Real talk here. It doesn't matter what the origins of this particular symbol are-- people have an issue with it because it was used by an actual real-life white supremacist group who attended an actual real-life white supremacy rally that resulted in one death. Bungie doesn't want to be associated with white supremacy groups that use a symbol that's very close to something in their game, so they decided to change it. No matter where it came from or who used it originally, Bungie is reacting to a real life scenario.

That's all a true and fair point, but nobody here even remotely implied that Bungie shouldn't remove the symbol, regardless of context. Obviously removing it is the right thing to do, and obviously that symbol now has a recognizable/negative meaning in the modern world.

The discussion is really more about the origin and place of origin of the symbols, which is more nuanced than simply "white supremacists from a white supremacist board". It implies and oversimplifies too much to just leave it at that. If you don't care about details, that's fine, but the truth is, I feel, always important.

And believe me, I'm not exactly pro white supremacy myself, but I'm not going to tell people that things are automatically bad simply because certain groups have their own twisted interpretations of them (Pepe the frog did nothing wrong!)

But again, I totally understand and respect your perspective.

(One might also point out that if you really want to reclaim the non-supremacist meaning of the term/symbol, your target should be the white supremacists using it, not the people reacting to the white supremacists.)

Right, but they also shouldn't feel guilty about enjoying it in their own context. I loved those gauntlets because not only has "kek" has always been funny to me, and they clearly say that, but they are also super impractical by design, which just adds to the humor. I do totally agree that they have to go, though. That was never in question once the details surfaced.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread