Wat, a sensible and informative GeeVee post? What a week... (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, September 15, 2017, 16:06 (2408 days ago) @ slycrel

Apparently some sites attribute kek to 4chan, and dismiss rumors of what I'm talking about as hearsay... which is too bad.

well it didn't become well-known until a few years ago, which likely has to do with channers
the wiki you're linking to covers /s4s/ (or [s4s]), a board that was created as an April Fool's joke to make fun of the idea that 4chan was becoming too much like Reddit and too restrictive in moderation (it stands for Shit 4chan Says, a play on the subreddit Shit Reddit Says) which of course immediately became the most meme-heavy message board in existence, and still is
they like to claim responsibility for "kek" as well as pretty much every meme created since the start of the board four and a half years ago

I am saddened to hear that this has been somehow politicized and taken over as an offensive symbol. Because, in my old-school context, kekistan is actually pretty funny...! But apparently not anymore. :/

it is sad
fortunately it matters even less in the grand scheme of things than the kind of people that would create it, use it, or reject it

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread