The brief response: (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 15:29 (2388 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

So if I were at my PC I would have a muchc more involved response. But alas I am not. So mostly this relates to your last section as I think that is contextually most important here. (Also it gets way too big if I hit more points)

You mention good faith and an ability to identify when something is an intentionally offensive symbol or a coincidental one. This is why we have the D words: dialogue, discourse, and discussion. The overall intent of these three words is the same end result, but I use all three because they hold different information to different people and in different spaces.

The end point is that there are statements coming from both sides to reach an understanding. Compassion is a combination of the empathy and patience to go through it. I acknowledge that whatever I write only holds the meaning as you read it. However, because this is mot me giving a speech or publishing a paper, we have the opportunity to work through that limitation. You respond to the meaning of my words as you understand them. Then I interpret your words in that same manner until, hopefully, we reach an understanding. If we don't we hit an impasse and thay is either an ideological difference or some other limitation on communication.

I am very passionate about visual communication. I have spent time both personally and academically involved with meaning via individual interpretation. This is only intended to help aid in why I keep going on about it here. I think in a community like this we have the ability to work through things that may upset others - but not all situations merit trying to work through it and are better served by correction and moving forward.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread