'Waypoint' Claims Racist Logo in Destiny 2 (Destiny)

by Funkmon @, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 01:45 (2388 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Funkmon, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 01:50

I had never heard of this, but apparently it's either a white supremacist rallying image or an anti-white supremacist trolling image depending on what part of the internet you click through to. I initially read about it on Game Informer, but here is the original article.

- MacGyver10

Yeah, I saw that at Kotaku this morning. You gotta wonder if it was an actual coincidence/accident, or if someone at Bungie was trolling?

On the internet it's really hard to see the real world implications of things you do in a non serious way. I don't think most people even on 4chan who like these symbols and things understand that to some, they're not a joke. Some people mean others harm by them.

If it wasn't a coincidence (and it totally could be, the symmetry of Ks is very pleasant, and it's just some lines), I don't think it is trolling. It might just be a person who thinks some of these internet jokes are funny, and he hasn't realized how they are in the real world, and that to some people they're not jokes.

We're all nerds here; we've seen the behavior when someone brings internet memes out in real life a bunch of times before. Usually it's just cringey crap, but sometimes it can cross a line that the person didn't even know was really there, because it was online and he never picked up on that.

If it wasn't a coincidence, which is my first guess, I would definitely imagine it was just ignorance of impact of the joke flag in the real world. I would hope someone isn't trying to seriously troll people with racist ideas at Bungie.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread