'Waypoint' Claims Racist Logo in Destiny 2 (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 07:01 (2389 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I had never heard of this, but apparently it's either a white supremacist rallying image or an anti-white supremacist trolling image depending on what part of the internet you click through to. I initially read about it on Game Informer, but here is the original article.

- MacGyver10

It's from the white supremacist board at 4chan, and it was found on the shields of the alt right in Charlottesville. It's also based on the design of a nazi flag. Id say it's just straight white supremacist even if it's spawned of irreverent internet stufff.

Good on bungie for their handling here

I had a whole thing typed up and I accidentally lost it. Suffice it to say, the board you're talking about (/pol/) is a lot more complicated than being "the white nationalist board", the symbol itself isn't based on the Nazi flag (the flag it's often used on is however), and someone bad using a symbol doesn't make the symbol bad. Please do not view things so simply. (No I'm not defending the people that use the symbol, not that those people are even all the same.)

I'm fully aware of the history and population of 4Chan, /pol/ etc. I understand that much of it is just transgressive and dark play. I also don't give a fuck. If you want to joke with the white supremicist, I'm not going to give you a pass because you think breaking social norms is fun.

Also this one here

and someone bad using a symbol doesn't make the symbol bad

That's not even the argument in total, It's not because it's just used by bad people, it's also prominently used on flag designed after the nazi battle flag. The design poposfully echos a lot of fascist logos like Traditionalist workers party, American Vanguard, Nazi, Golden Dawn etc. It also

I understand the differences of these internet communities but I simpilify because that's the correct and useful definition in this situation.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread