Marty (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 13, 2017, 14:44 (2386 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I understand that.

That’s not what that podcast is about though, so it’s not really relevant in this context.

Well, the music doesn’t start and stop at the right time in Des2ny, something that Marty figured out a long time ago. So even if it’s good, if it plays at the wrong time and that’s bad.

I saw the Angry Joe video you linked, and though he said the music sometimes misbehaved, he did not provide any examples. No, him brushing his teeth on camera to Destiny music is not a real example.

My feeling is that during actual missions and Strikes and other planned combat, the music and loops are as good as ever. It starts and stops when it should in turn with the the major combat triggers.

Where things are a bit different are places that the Halo series never really had: In the open world on Patrol. There the music does kinda have to do some guess work if you're just roaming along so the battle music might not cut out as dramatically as in a mission, but it still does keep track of when you kill the last enemy nearby and transitions to quiet or general Patrol music after a short while.

Music during Public Events does start and stop pretty well from what I remember, for instance. But that should be pretty easy because those have clear victory and defeat conditions.

Really, it's just the nature of the open world and, from my impressions, Destiny 2 is no worse than something like Skyrim or Witcher 3 in that regard, both of which could and would fire up the most dramatic loop for... killing a long wolf, and keep it running for several seconds afterward, especially if another enemy was anywhere nearby even if it wasn't actively attacking you.

So, Cody, when you say the music doesn't start or stop at the right times... what are you actually talking about? Angry Joe provided no real examples. Do you have any?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread