Marty (Destiny)

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, October 13, 2017, 23:21 (2385 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Also when you leave the city and are following the bird… the epic music plays and plays and plays… even as seemingly nothing is happening after you kill all the enemies.

That was most definitely a conscious artistic choice, one I believe was the right one. That music section is an emotionally powerful string quartet playing while there is close-to-little gunplay. (Played by the Kronos Quartet, possibly the most famous string quartet in the world.)

It's designed to set a mood: When else do you remember ever hearing a string section by itself in Destiny? (I don't think that ever happened in the entirety of D1's OST, although someone please let me know if I'm wrong.) It highlights the fact that you fell from power, lost your abilities, and you're on your own. Even if you turn left and fall off the cliff (like I did the first time) the music keeps playing continuously.

I haven't noticed any other times during gameplay when music seemed inappropriate, as you describe. Perhaps they were trying to accomplish something different with the sound design than what you expected.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread