Great analysis and Conclusions (Destiny)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, October 15, 2017, 23:54 (2356 days ago) @ marmot 1333

This floated across my Twitter feed today and I think its gonna be good. I’m only a couple of minutes in, but the interviewer already knows her stuff

That was most definitely a conscious artistic choice, one I believe was the right one. That music section is an emotionally powerful string quartet playing while there is close-to-little gunplay. (Played by the Kronos Quartet, possibly the most famous string quartet in the world.)

It's designed to set a mood: When else do you remember ever hearing a string section by itself in Destiny? (I don't think that ever happened in the entirety of D1's OST, although someone please let me know if I'm wrong.) It highlights the fact that you fell from power, lost your abilities, and you're on your own. Even if you turn left and fall off the cliff (like I did the first time) the music keeps playing continuously.

I haven't noticed any other times during gameplay when music seemed inappropriate, as you describe. Perhaps they were trying to accomplish something different with the sound design than what you expected.

These are great points Marmot. Some of it partially deduced from the interview of Mike with Kate Remington from WSHU/NPR? I know personally I don't think I really put it all together until I heard the interview.

No, I haven't heard that, actually. I'll have to find it.

I was just really struck by that music the first time I played through, and paid special attention the other two times. I thought the music was perfect for the section.

When I beat the campaign the first time I was watching the credits and saw Kronos Quartet listed and got really excited, then connected the dots. I saw them perform in Seattle last year and it was a fantastic performance, highly recommended.

Well great analysis and conclusions then!

You will not have to look too far to find it or have to search too far for it, the interview is in the Original Post for this thread and was the original Topic of discussion. I quoted it in this post ^, definitely give the whole thing a listen.

If you can't listen to everything here are some relevant time stamps to your remarks:
:00 - :30 Intro
:56 - 3:31 Background Info
3:32 - 10:44 Track from Game & OST - Journey (feat. Kronos Quartet)
10:45 - 12:55 More Background info

21:23 - 25:00 Track from Game & OST - Lost Light (feat. Kronos Quartet)
25:01 - 27:55 More bits of info about Kronos Quartet

Your analysis is spot on and is confirmed through good observations and questions from the interviewer and great answers from Mike S.
Who knows maybe you were even at the same Kronos performance with Mike!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread