I absolutely refuse to use exploits. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 16, 2019, 14:01 (1717 days ago) @ Malagate

I think I’d be pretty happy with the Bad Juju quest if I was more active in the game right now. It’s exactly the sort of thing that makes it hard to come back though—it always feels like there’s too much that I’ve missed, that if I start playing it’ll be a month to get all this stuff done, instead of just coming back and playing.

I think Destiny is way more forgiving than other games with regards to ways to catch up if you've been out of the loop. Just my personal experience, but even just running strikes or Crucible if you're nowhere near max light is a reasonably efficient way to get back up to speed.

That night I posted about last week happened almost explicitly because i cheesed that gun. Instead of focusing on the easiest triumphs to grind out, I could instead just jump in with other people and help with whatever they were working on, and knock out some other stuff for myself.

I think this is pretty much the ideal Destiny experience for frequent players (or at the very least, me). Help others, and in so doing help yourself. Once everyone in the group is more or less in the same place, then it's time for endgame stuff. And as it happens, this is the kind of thing I find happens a lot (maybe it's just the segment of the community I tend to run with) when people are in and out of the game for weeks and months at a time; friends will help out with older content to bring friends up to speed. Standing offer on anything you want to run, BtW. A Masterworked Acrius is a thing of exquisite beauty. Never leave home without one.

I know that’s mostly a self-imposes problem. I can always choose to do that instead of focusing on an exotic quest (my half finished Acrius, Sturm, Malfeasance, Truth, and Lumina quests are a testament to that), but it’s much more difficult to completely enjoy myself, even when it’s really fun, when I’m doing something that isn’t really beneficial to advancing some quest or another.

I agree with this last part, but it makes me want to say that we've been conditioned towards goals; which, while it isn't necessarily a bad thing per se, I find it a lot harder to holistically enjoy the game, for lack of a better term, because there's always some particular thing each player is after. This is also why I never, EVER see folks I know playing customs, despite the tons of fun I've had getting full games of Gambit or Mayhem going on the rare occasion.

~m

Remember when we used to have spreadsheets pinned before the admins decided to take them down (not sure I understood why)?

It was handy to keep track of who was on what platform, whether their forum name corresponded to the gamertag, and we had columns for other stuff I think, like what time people liked to play.

For a long time I've been thinking of a spreadsheet that identified quest steps (squid's event from last week got me thinking about it again). It would be really nice to know who in the community is working on the same thing.

Even better would be a site similar to this that included quest step info by clan. Has someone built such a thing?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread