Destiny with Dexter (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 12:01 (1716 days ago) @ narcogen

I will also say that I don't condemn anyone for using cheeses, as long as it doesn't affect me. So if I want to legit do forges and I get someone who is afk farming... I'm not going to be happy.

You won't because you won't be matched with someone who is cheesing. Anyone matched in that session is also cheesing, and no one there has enough light level to kill the lowest level enemy anyway. It's impossible for anyone to win in that session.

If I put on gear that drops my level and then try to play the activity, then I'm affected and I'm not cheesing.

But what kind of gameplay experience are you hoping for when you try play an activity and the enemies you face are immune? A one-minute game of staying alive might be fun ... once.

You can say no one would or should do that, but I really don't like this distinction. It's like saying sure, I'm stealing, but I'm only stealing from thieves. I don't want to player Destiny with Dexter.

It's really irrelevant that anyone is in the session with you--no one in the session can affect the outcome. The timer runs out in a minute no matter what anyone does.

It's valid to say you're denying yourself the experience of earning the materials the legit way. It's valid to say you're stealing time the developer intended you to use playing their game. To an extent it's valid to say you're gaining an advantage over players. Certain weapons are always going to be give advantages--we covet those advantages, don't we? That said, it seems that more so than in the past, "any weapon will do" is the response to "what should I equip?" in the raid groups I play with, so I don't know how great that advantage is.

My thinking on this has evolved as Destiny has evolved. I don't think I buy the Dexter comparison in this case (caveat: never seen the show but know the premise). I was Dexter-like that one time I sat in a loot cave. I was misusing game mechanics to keep people from misusing game mechanics.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread