Well, yes... (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 08:57 (1739 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

But I think the philosophical argument still stands. Narc does have a point, and in that particular case I think it's less black-and-white by virtue of the mechanics that were in play (playing the boss death sound and having the chest respawn, all while having a 300+ second timer active); but I think a distinction is at least meaningful, if not important. One can call it moral relativism if they like, I just find tactics like idling to be beyond the pale.

~m

I agree with you. I don't do any full on cheeses that reward you for not playing the game. Not to mention, I like playing the game, so why would I skip that?

Keep in mind that I am the same asshole who once joked about sitting in the loot cave to prevent that exploit in D1, but the forge exploit feels less game breaking to me. You're not affecting other players experience of the game except in some tertiary effect due to more people having a certain gun sooner. I used to care more about that, too. The whole loot model was new to me five years ago.

Maybe I've loosened up. Also, getting world resources feels further upstream than getting exotic engrams. I find it tedious enough just turning all that stuff in.

I would say that I absolutely like playing the game. I love playing it--a bit too much. The trouble is I love doing other stuff, too. This will sound like Cody, but I'm no longer willing to give Destiny such a significant portion of my free time. And I offer no judgment of those who play more than me. You'll always be ahead of me and you'll always have plenty of stuff I don't have. It's all good.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread