Weapon sunsetting in action (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:25 (1416 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Those two categories are both bad on their own. You need both. Metrics and data guide how the game is doing overall and helps you understand what is actually happening. Fun and instinct is great in the moment but it doesn't give you and idea of where you are going. You can't have one or the other, you have to have both.

I disagree. Metrics do not qualify the game experience.

Okay, so we both agree that we disagree on this statement. PROGRESS!!

All that matters is the fun you have. Metrics tell you little if anything about the actual things people are feeling when they play your game.

Okay, so you keep taking this to a personal level. Meaning singular gamer. You can't do that when talking about metrics and a massively multiplayer game. Destiny (the thing we are talking about) uses metrics because it's one of the few tools you can use to rationally figure out how much people are having fun in a game where thousands upon thousands of gamers from all different walks of life and preferences are interacting with your game. How do you propose Bungie just makes sure every single Guardian has fun? All they can do is try to make it fun for the most amount of people they possible can. And Metrics allows you to try and figure that out.

Thus, you need both.

Fighting games are a great example. Super Turbo is in no way 'balanced', with tons of advantageous character match ups and many underused characters. The metrics would say it's a mess. And yet, somehow, it is one of, and some might consider THE, greatest fighting game of all time.

Thanks for using an example apart from what we were already talking about where I had to google it. I'm assuming you are talking about "Super Street Fighter II Turbo"? If so, that says that it was released in 1994... Yeah, of course you wouldn't need metrics for that game. It's literally a two person on a single TV fighting game.

Also, fun and instinct are a personally thing. You can just do something and assume everyone is going to have fun with a change. That is why for such large games like this that you have to have those metrics to guide the best fun for the most amount of people.

Metrics do not measure fun.

I agree, they don't. But metrics are the best way to figure out if something is working out and thus giving your players the most amount of fun.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread