Because there is no need for it. (Gaming)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, July 27, 2014, 17:02 (3568 days ago) @ RC

... what about explore mode? How is your console going to store such a potentially large file? How is record going to handle when there are other guardians\friends potentially dropping in and out around you?

Halo 3 launched in 2007 - 7 years ago. Films were never more than a few 10s of MB for hours of footage. Players could drop in and out of custom multiplayer matches and the film file would still be completely valid and playable.

Again, I'm going to point to the size of files being much larger NOW than they ever would have been in Halo 3.

Let's say you go off on a tear during explore mode. You've been in explore mode for 4 hours.

How irritating is it going to be loading that 4 hour file and tracking down the segment you want? Better hope it's not like it was in Halo 3 and Reach where you have to advance to the whole thing to get to the end.

No, Destiny not having theater makes a lot of sense due to the capability of the PS4 and XB1; Something awesome happen in a battle and you want to record it? If you have Kinect you can say "Xbox record that". Done. If you don't have Kinect, well you're boned then aren't you? This also makes sense, because Bungie probably wasn't expecting Microsoft to do a 180 on the mandatory kinect.

For the PS4, it is always recording and you can even prepare it to record if you know something is going to happen. Pretty neat actually.

In terms of recording capability, the PS4 currently has the XB1 beat- but this could easily change with a software update to the XB1.

Add twitch capability to each console and I see another reason for Bungie to not spend development resources on theater.

Factor in future cloud storage and the consoles have it in the bag.

It's not that theater is gone- it's just evolved.

I'm pretty damn happy I can record from ANY game thanks to the console. It's not just limited to Halo and people with capture equipment now.

Yes. Looking back, knowing that Bungie would have early access to the specs and capability of the PS4 and XB1 well before the public, no theater makes prefect sense.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread