Because there is no need for it. (Gaming)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, July 27, 2014, 21:52 (3735 days ago) @ Kermit

Lastly, I don't think you understand how films worked. The game engine and assets are what take up space. I'm not saying Destiny doesn't present unique technical hurdles. Halo did, too, else the first two games might have had them.

That bit right there? That's why I think we didn't get something like Theater or Forge this time round. I don't think it's because they don't want us to have these things, I think it's because there are hurdles to vault, and considerations need to be made for how they're implemented. In the end, these are problems to solve for the next game. Spend the first one getting everything else nailed down, then you can spend time later embellishing what's there.

Also car15 mentioned "theater fitting in line with guardians sharing their legend". Personally, I'm not sure I'd ever use it for that. As far as I know, most, if not all, of our real life legends are written or verbal, not visual. Just referencing a post I made a few days ago about Nomis dropping into my game and saving my bacon... Which is more interesting: Me writing about it? Where I can tell you how I felt, what the situation was to my eyes, how amazing it was to see him there suddenly? Or me uploading a clip so you can watch it without any of that context? Even if I provided that write up alongside the clip, the clip would pale in comparison. That moment was ultimately boring to watch, it isn't exciting in the least to see. It'd be literally 10 seconds long. I'm reloading, about to be smacked by a Captain, the Captain drops dead, I turn around, there's Nomis, we go back to killing things. But hearing about that moment? Hoo boy.

Legends aren't just records of accomplishments or events, they're the feelings and emotions that go along with them. They're epic stories more than anything else.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread