Because there is no need for it. (Gaming)

by petetheduck, Monday, July 28, 2014, 08:24 (3735 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Forge does not make sense for Destiny.

When a game has a good sandbox, it is unfortunate to limit it to the developer's environments. Forge makes as much sense for Destiny as it did for Halo. There are huge opportunities for community content--Sparrow trick maps full of half pipes, the Vault of Flaming Ninja Glass, custom PvE scenarios, and PvP arenas.

You might not want to Forge, but given the tool, the community would make incredible things with it.

I don't recall saying I didn't want it.

When you say "Forge does not make sense for Destiny" - if you wanted Forge, you would not say things like that.

I do recall saying I don't think it applies the same way to Destiny that it did to Halo.

How? They're both FPS with fantastic sandboxes, competitive multiplayer and singleplayer/coop experiences. There is nothing about Destiny that makes it ineligible for Forge.

So Bungie made Destiny's singleplayer/coop a shared world, irrelevant. You couldn't Forge in Halo's singleplayer/coop either.

Look a few threads over where people are concerned that Destiny's 4 worlds are too few. Forge is infinite content.

I also lament Titanfall not having Forge, that would be fun with the game's movement mechanics.

PC mods.

What limited tools we get on console are infinitely better than nothing, but those kind of premium features are better suited for PC editing.

We're talking about a console game, not a PC game. And Forge did a fantastic job on a console. The existence of PCs does not make console games ineligible for map editors.

----------------------------------------

Maybe these things will come later. Maybe they'll ship with the game this September- again, I don't know, because Bungie won't comment on it (which a month before release, is not a good sign that they'll be included).

At this point, I'm just irritated that we keep looking backward to things that Halo had and the expectation that Destiny must have them.

It's not just Destiny, these (Forge, theater) are great features that any game would benefit from. The fact that Bungie pioneered these features on a console so well in Halo, why shouldn't we optimistically anticipate or desire them in Bungie's next game? I don't see why that irritates you--these are good features for games to have. Do you want a game with less features?

That being said, Tyson Green basically said there will be no Forge in Destiny at launch back in that IGN interview months ago.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread