Rumors from Microsoft "source"

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, April 26, 2013, 10:42 (4015 days ago) @ Xenos

I know they are just rumors, but Polygon posted information from a Microsoft source about the next XBox here.

This part is very interesting:
Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft’s current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.

Definitely better than always on requirement for the console itself but still troubling.

Not necessarily.

I can understand and agree to a one time verification process, that's no different than an activation code for most modern software anyway.

Also, if there are games coming out that require online to play anyway (such as an MMORPG) it doesn't matter in those cases- those players will be on regardless.

I do have a problem with it for games that don't have an online or MP component- example- I don't see why I should need to get online to play Bioshock 1 or Arkham Asylum or Portal.

I think leaving that decision in the hands of the publisher is a wise move- That would allow MS (and others such as Sony or Nintendo who might be watching) to essentially beta test some games but not ALL games using that mechanic.

Wait and see, I suppose.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread