The Fall of Destiny

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 21:02 (4004 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Stephen Laughlin, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 21:06

I don't have a lot of time for dime store video game tie-in novels these days. I don't mean to disparage the Halo books--I read them all, FoR more than once, and picked apart the fiction on community forums back in the day--but I hope that Destiny itself can sufficiently speak to the quality of the writing that Bungie is putting into this project.

I feel like this is an area where the Halo games didn't quite excel. Based on the novels, the universe seemed to be richly detailed and built from this huge pool of lore...a big sweeping space-opera with political machinations, ethically gray military projects, AIs that basically go insane after 7 years, characters like Halsey and more that we don't really start to hear about in the games until the latter part of the series. Maybe this is something the novels brought to the table and the games had to play catchup, but I don't think that's the case. I hope to see more of this in depth kind of stuff in the game itself, rather than having to glean it from third-party sources.

That being said, it's probably a safe bet there will be tie-ins. From what little tidbits of story we've got so far, Staten's bit from one of the past updates really sparked my imagination. I could picture a novel being written about the ancient-future history of humanity set prior to the events of Destiny. It kinda reminds me of the stuff about Traxus IV from Marathon.

The City wants us to recover a piece of Charlemagne, one of the great Warminds of the Golden Age—a vast machine intelligence built by the ancient Powers of Mars. The Cabal do everything they can to try and stop our descent, but we keep pushing, rifles cracking and Traveler energy boiling from our fists until the only thing left standing is us, and the only thing left of the Cabal is the loot they hid in Charlemagne’s vault.

Great Warminds of the Golden Age? Ancient Powers of Mars? Fucking sign me up.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread