The Fall of Destiny

by yakaman, Monday, May 13, 2013, 06:40 (4002 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I was thinking of Destiny and its marketing beyond the game. Destiny has had it's Cortana Letters of sorts with the Alpha Lupi thing. So what would be next? A book of course! Do you think Destiny will have its Fall of Reach. Will it have a book that kicks things off and informs us about the world and setting of the game? Should it?

I like The Fall of Reach but I think it sometimes is referenced too heavily in Halo's canon or it plain doesn't fit in any more. Any Destiny book has needs to avoid that.

If we did see a Destiny book what would you want it to be about?

I'd probably like to follow the first wave or Human explorers as they venture out after the fall. See them encounter the various aliens and be forced to form the Guardians.

How about you?

Bungie has said many times that we are the story. They've been purposefully vague on a lot of the details. I believe there will be little to no story activity outside actual game-play, even though "game-play" may cover a lot of ground.

If there are story elements or historical events to be revealed, I believe it'll be through the "softer" game portals (i.e. mobile apps) and not "old media" like books. I mean, how much fun was it to unlock the Destiny reveal riddles? How cool to learn back story through web events like I Love Bees or similar? Bungie's theme has been to build community, and solving story events together is a great way to get people to connect.

I realize tie-ins are a potential cash cow, but I don't think Bungie much cares.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread