Agreed

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, May 13, 2013, 15:15 (4002 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Now I feel even more justified in not keeping up with the Halo novels.

Sadly(?), I'm hooked on the novels for the foreseeable future. Whatever gaffs 343i has made in the handling of the story bible, the writers they've selected to continue to novelizations are first-rate. I've enjoyed the storytelling, and I'm curious to see what they do with the fiction from here, however disappointing the outcome may be. Basically, I'm willing to follow the fiction until doing so becomes intolerable.

Yeah, and some of those writers I'm familiar with. I love Traviss' Wess'Har Wars, and a couple other things she's done. But she's written Star Wars, Gears of War, and now Halo books. Granted, I got into Nylund because of Reach (and I loved it because it was Halo), but I enjoyed the Signal to Noise books more as original works. Call me a snob, but I usually like an artist's original work over any IP-oriented stuff they do. MicroSoft certainly have got talent in the stable as far as writers, but there's something missing for me.

In my opinion the thing that 343i lacks that Bungie has in spades is vision. 343i seems more focused on making a game, where Bungie has always been focused first on making a universe. It's something that I hope 343i is able to overcome before they launch Halo 5, but I harbor no illusions that they actually will.

And there we have it. I agree.

~M

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread