^ Yup

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 22:46 (4003 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I feel like this is an area where the Halo games didn't quite excel. Based on the novels, the universe seemed to be richly detailed and built from this huge pool of lore...a big sweeping space-opera with political machinations, ethically gray military projects, AIs that basically go insane after 7 years, characters like Halsey and more that we don't really start to hear about in the games until the latter part of the series. Maybe this is something the novels brought to the table and the games had to play catchup, but I don't think that's the case. I hope to see more of this in depth kind of stuff in the game itself, rather than having to glean it from third-party sources.

Exactly. The Halo Universe is just not the same without the books. If you take everything except the games away you're left with a pretty skeletal frame that is missing a fair bit of the magic. I can't count the number of times I had a discussion with my coworkers about some cool element in Halo, only to have them not know what I was talking about because they didn't read the books.

The short version: I really hope Destiny does an exceptional job of transitioning those stories into the game and fleshing out the universe through the course of gameplay. A Destiny-related book would be fun, but I don't think it should carry the weight of the franchise's backbone while the game mostly ignores it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread